BlueFlower

BlueFlower
I really like to play with photography.

12.22.2007

The Black Wall

Hey there,
I'm not sure when I wrote this story but I thought I would post it. It's a little lighter than all the other stuff I've been posting. Let me know waht you think!
Greg

The Black Wall
Shadows move in the darkness, wraiths that lust after my destruction. Indeed, they are the very essence of the gloom that so surrounds me, my light unable to penetrate the inky silence that has hemmed me in. I was given a charge, I am a chosen one. I stood there facing the wall, and like many others, wondered if I could really take this mission. I remember hearing His command, those words that still drive me on in relentless ambition, "I need you, you must go in. There are others who need to hear the truth, others who need to see daylight, they need our help. I'm not asking you to go alone, but I caution you, sometimes you will feel alone..." I feel alone now. I've been surrounded by this darkness for so long that even though I bear this light, I almost forget what it looks like myself. I'm shaken, I did not understand that I would face such an intense hate and bloodlust for my life; the wraiths want nothing more than to see me fall, to see my life extinguished and to see the ones I am here to rescue scorn the light I was commanded to bring them. Exhaustion overcame me and I stopped to take a rest. Sitting down, I remember what it was like to be consumed by the darkness, to be one of those who were lost in it's midst. It's not how it seems, I remember the deceptions the wraiths went to great lengths to maintain. I thought I was knowledgeable, I thought i could see. My life -although riddled with disappointments- had the appearance of being normal. It wasn't until I was rescued that I truly saw the darkness in which I lived; the scandalous duplicity that I lived to serve. Yet, my mind is drawn to the simplicity of those times. I had need to worry only about myself, it was up to me to decide how i wanted to live, what i wanted to do and all for the benefit of myself. Now I live to benefit others, to put others before myself. It is a massive undertaking and not one that can be done on my own strength. I accepted this mission with enthusiasm but now my thoughts are drifting. I didn't want to do this anymore, if people didn't want to see the light in the first place, why send us into this darkness? Why should I not be my only concern? What do I have to offer others? Why am I... I was startled in mid thought. I had heard something, a voice, and looking up I was alarmed; my light was very dim and the darkness was so close. Confused, I wondered how I had become so careless and like an early morning, realization dawned and I saw that I had let bitterness and selfish ambition take a hold of my heart. Bending my knee, I stopped to ask for forgiveness and He came to restore my strength... I was indeed not alone.

No comments: