BlueFlower

BlueFlower
I really like to play with photography.

1.08.2008

Music Applied to Relationships

Hey there,

So before I get into this I just want to say something. If I know all the up's and downs, all the trials, all the joys, and all the expereinces that I am going to go through with you, our relationship will be flat; it will be dead. Relationships are built upon the unexpected, they're built upon the companionship and the partnership of two people as they experience something. If I already know everything that is going to happen and how to steer clear of the bad stuff and know the good stuff that's coming, I won't be able to share that moment with you and our relationship becomes quite flat; instead of living life with you, I'm following a set of directions, which is nothing more than a computer or robot does. Relationships are expectancy of the unexpected. Of course, as you've seen in my other posts, that's not all there is to a good relationship with God, or with friends, family and lovers. But we don't need to go there. What inspired this post was a passage that I read in "This is Your Brain On Music", page 111 if you have the book, "I said earlier that music is organized sound, but the organization has to involve some element of the unexpected or it is emotionally flat and robotic." You see, Daniel Levitin says that through the culture we grow up in, our minds form links and memories that say "Music is supposed to sound like this" however, what distinguishes a great song that will be played for a very long time and a song that we forget rather quickly is that the good song breaks those expectations that our minds have formed, giving it an edgy unexpected air that keeps us interested and listening for more, because we naturally want to hear the music return to the pattern we expect. So without those unexpected shifts, the music won't keep us on the edge of our seats or interest us in any way shape or form. I just found it cool that music, like relationships, requires an air of the expectancy of the unexpected for it to truly work and truly be great.
What do you think?
Greg

No comments: